Header image alt text

长沙夜网,长沙桑拿,长沙桑拿按摩论坛

Powered by Nawaim!

WINNIPEG – A group that represents wildlife professionals is asking the Manitoba government to do more to protect the province’s declining moose population.

The Wildlife Society Manitoba Chapter says in an open letter written late last month to Conservation and Water Stewardship Minister Tom Nevakshonoff that the moose population in Manitoba has declined from a high of over 45,000 animals to just 20,000 now.

ChangSha Night Net

It applauds recent hunting bans in specific areas, but says a comprehensive, province-wide moose conservation strategy is needed and that moose management needs a “higher prioritization” in provincial policy.

The society represents scientists, professors, biologists, managers and planners.

In October, the province issued moose hunting bans to two regions in the Turtle Mountain area southwest of Winnipeg, on top of six other bans that were already in place across the province.

In August, the province announced stiffer fines for the illegal killing of wild animals, including a $10,000 penalty for moose.

“As wildlife professionals, the recent significant downward trend in moose populations in our province has called us to action in a way we have rarely done in the 35-year history of our organization,” the letter from Nov. 25 states.

The society says its population estimate is based on accounts from its members that was acquired from aerial survey reports, field investigations, research projects and scientific surveys. It says population declines “are substantial and not restricted to any particular region.”

It blames over-hunting, a lack of hunt protection for cows and calves, disease, parasites, predators and increased human access for the drop.

A province-wide strategy, the society says, would complement aboriginal knowledge and practices in moose management. It says the strategy should include more hunting closures, a province-wide moose survey, research on moose diseases and parasites, and allowing forest fires to regenerate habitat.

The government has previously said moose numbers will be monitored and if the population increases to an acceptable level, hunting restrictions may be lifted.

The provincial fines don’t apply to anyone legally exercising a treaty or aboriginal right to hunt.

The society says it recognizes the rights of aboriginal groups for food and subsistence hunting, but says all interested parties must work together to conserve the shared resource.

CARTAGENA, Colombia — Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos hailed Saturday the discovery of a Spanish galleon that went down off the South American nation’s coast more than 300 years ago with what may be the world’s largest sunken treasure.

ChangSha Night Net

At a press conference in the colonial port city of Cartagena, Santos said the exact location of the San Jose galleon, and how it was discovered with the help of an international team of experts, was a state secret that he’d personally safeguard. The San Jose originally sank somewhere in the wide area off Colombia’s Baru peninsula, south of Cartagena.

While no humans have yet to reach the wreckage site, the government said autonomous underwater vehicles have gone there and brought back photos of dolphin-stamped bronze cannons in a well-preserved state that leave no doubt to the ship’s identity.

The discovery is the latest chapter in an ongoing saga that began three centuries ago, on June 8, 1708, when the Spanish ship with 600 people aboard sank to the bottom of the sea as it was trying to outrun a fleet of British warships. It is believed to have been carrying 11 million gold coins and jewels from then Spanish-controlled colonies that could be worth billions of dollars if ever recovered.

The ship, which maritime experts consider the holy grail of Spanish colonial shipwrecks, has remained submerged ever since off the coast of Cartagena even as a legal battle has raged in U.S., Colombia and Spain over who owns the rights to the sunken treasure.

In 1982, Sea Search Armada, a salvage company owned by U.S. investors including the late actor Michael Landon and convicted Nixon White House adviser John Ehrlichman, announced it had found the San Jose’s resting place 700 feet below the water’s surface.

Two years later, Colombia’s government overturned well-established maritime law that gives 50 percent to whoever locates a shipwreck, slashing Sea Search’s take down to a 5 percent “finder’s fee”.

A lawsuit by the American investors in a federal court in Washington was dismissed in 2011 and the ruling was affirmed on appeal two years later. Colombia’s Supreme Court has ordered the ship to be recovered before the international dispute over the fortune can be settled.

Santos didn’t mention any salvage company’s claim during his presentation but the government said that the ship had been found Nov. 27 in a never-before referenced location through the use of new meteorological and underwater mapping studies.

Danilo Devis, who has represented Sea Search in Colombia for decades, expressed optimism that the sunken treasure, whose haul could easily be worth more than $10 billion, would finally be recovered.

But he bristled at the suggestion that experts located the underwater grave anywhere different from the area adjacent to the coordinates Sea Search gave authorities three decades ago.

“The government may have been the one to find it but this really just reconfirms what we told them in 1982,” he told The Associated Press from his home in Barranquilla, Colombia.

The president said any recovery effort would take years but would be guided by a desire to protect the national patrimony.

During his presentation, Santos showed an underwater video that appears to show jewels and the cannons. In the footage English-speaking crew members aboard a Colombian naval ship can be seen launching the underwater vehicle into the ocean.

©2015

GRANDE PRAIRIE, Alta. – Val Sweeting made it count when it mattered at the 2015 Canada Cup.

The Edmonton skip responded from being dispatched to a tiebreaker by Winnipeg’s Jennifer Jones on Friday with a 5-3 semifinal victory on Saturday in a rematch.

Team Sweeting will play Rachel Homan’s Ottawa-based team in Sunday’s women’s final. Homan ran a 5-1 record to finish first in the round robin and an automatic entry into the championship match.

ChangSha Night Net

“They’re (Homan’s team) playing well, but I thought we had really great day today so regardless of how well their team is playing we have to make our shots,” said Sweeting. “We’ve just got to focus on ourselves and make our shots the best we can and see where it falls.”

Sweeting — third Lori Olson-Johns, second Dana Ferguson and lead Rachelle Brown — will be seeking their second straight Canada Cup title, having won the 2014 version in Camrose, Alta.

Earlier in the day, Sweeting defeated Sherry Middaugh of Coldwater, Ont., 7-3 in the tiebreaker to earn her chance at a rematch against Jones.

Despite the loss, Jones — the 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts Canadian women’s champion — will be back in Grande Prairie in late February for the 2016 Scotties as Team Canada.

“We’re thrilled to be coming back. Hopefully the ice will be as good as it was this week because it was fantastic,” said Jones.

Homan and Sweeting will battle for the top prize of $14,000, in addition to direct-entry berths to the 2017 Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings in Ottawa — the event that will decide Canada’s four-player teams for the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea — and trip to Las Vegas to be part of Team North America for the 2016 Continental Cup in January.

In the men’s semifinal, Calgary’s Kevin Koe used an extra end to defeat Toronto’s John Epping 7-6.

Koe, who last won the title in 2008, never trailed, but needed the extra end after Epping scored a deuce in the 10th to tie it 6-6.

“It feels good for sure. That was a big game,” said Koe, who plays with third Marc Kennedy, second Brent Laing and lead Ben Hebert. “We were always in control, never down, but they just never went away. It was a good battle for us and nice to pull it out.”

Koe will meet Winnipeg’s Mike McEwen in the men’s final.

McEwen, the defending Canada Cup champion, and Koe, the 2010 and 2014 Tim Hortons Brier champ, were tied for first at 5-2 after the round robin, but McEwen was awarded top spot by virtue of his win over Koe during the eight-team round-robin format.

“It’ll be tough,” said Koe of the final. “We actually had a great game with them in the round robin. They played great. I don’t know what their percentages were, easily over 90 as a team I’m guessing. We played good all week with the exception of one game in the round robin and we’ve had a good year and we’ve just got to keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

Both the women’s and men’s finals are set for Sunday.

SAN FRANCISCO – It was the first set of the day at Mavericks, a once-secret surf spot near San Francisco, and Andrea Möller was out charging big waves when her surfboard hit her in the cheek.

It was a shock. It hurt. But the Brazilian had flown to California to ride the legendary Mavericks break, and that was what she intended to do.

She hopped a jet ski for a ride to the marina for Super Glue and duct tape. Using her skills as a paramedic, she patched her cheek so she could keep surfing but get stitches later.

ChangSha Night Net

Some say women aren’t quite ready to compete in the invitation-only Titans of Mavericks. But the California Coastal Commission recently gave a boost to their campaign, telling organizers that they should have a plan for including women if they want a permit to hold the event next year.

The competition is held when the surf is just right, between Nov. 1 and March 31. Waves can rise to 60 feet (18 metres).

“Women have been progressing at big wave surfing for many years, but they always lacked the recognition and trust from the man-dominated sport,” Möller, 36, said. “Times have changed. There are no more reasons to exclude them from any event.”

READ MORE: Surfer lost most of leg following Hawaii shark attack

Commissioner Mark Vargas of Southern California made the motion to require the contest to craft a plan for women.

“They are utilizing a public resource, and we are giving them permission,” he said. “If they are going to use that public resource, then there ought to be some sort of consideration for equal opportunity, or at least transparency for their selection process to ensure there is no discrimination.”

Arguments that Mavericks is too tough for women – two men have died surfing there – don’t hold up with Vargas. Participation by women “will encourage the next generation of girls to want to become women big wave surfers,” he said. “If they don’t see it, they won’t do it.”

In 1999, Sarah Gerhardt, 41, became the first woman to ever surf the Mavericks break. She has been included in a long list of potential contestants but never made the short list. No woman has.

The organizers, she said, are not really being inclusive. “They are gesturing, but (women surfers) don’t actually make it to the top 24 and (will) never be able to compete with the men. If there are going to be women in the event, they should have their own heat,” Gerhardt, a college professor, said.

Organizers say it’s not realistic to have women compete directly with the men, although that day is coming.

“Our intent is not to put aside a special class just for women but have the women go head-to-head with the men,” said Cassandra Clark, the wife of contest founder Jeff Clark, who discovered the surf spot at age 17.

“We have women we are starting to see now, and I can’t wait to see them surf at that level,” she told the commission.

Still, it may take some time.

“At this point, we haven’t seen that kind of performance,” Jeff Clark said.

WATCH: Viral video: Motorcycle surfing Tahiti wave has BC connection

There also are logistical problems with adding a separate women’s heat, organizers say. There just isn’t time, they say, in what already is a daylong contest for two dozen surfers riding the same monstrous peak.

San Francisco surfer Grant Washburn has competed in each of the nine competitions that have been held since 1999, and he sees both sides of the dilemma.

“It would be great for the women, and I totally understand the interest,” Washburn, 47, said.

But he understands what organizers are up against when “the call” to Mavericks comes. The wave size, wind and swell direction need to be just right to summon surfers from all over the world.

“There’s so much to organize already, so to add (women) could make it impossible,” he said. “Even in the perfect scenario, we are rushing and we barely get it done.”

©2015

Santa Shuffle celebrates 25 years in Edmonton

Posted by admin on 16/07/2019
Posted in 长沙夜网 

EDMONTON — It’s an annual event that’s perhaps one of the most festive of the season. The Santa Shuffle was held in Hawrelak Park Saturday morning.

Now in its 25th year, the Santa Shuffle raises funds for the Salvation Army. Participants, most of whom dress up for the occasion, took part in a one-kilometre elf walk or a five-kilometre fun run.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Hundreds brave bone-chilling temperatures for annual Santa Shuffle

    Hundreds shuffle through Hawrelak Park for a great cause

  • Hundreds lace up for Santa Shuffle as demand increases from those in need

“It’s an exciting morning,” said John Stanton, founder of the Running Room. “The Salvation Army is always there for people. It’s a great community resource for people, whether it’s a flood or disaster of some sort. The Salvation Army people are always first there.

“At Christmastime there’s so much need that it’s a great time for the (Salvation) Army to have that extra income come in.”

The Santa Shuffle started as a single race in Edmonton in 1990. It became a national event in 2001 and is now held in 41 cities across Canada.

“It’s always about team work, and success is never one person,” Stanton said of the success of the race.

About 700 people were expected to take part in Saturday’s event. They were in luck as temperatures hovered just below the freezing mark. During the 2013 run, the wind chill made it feel like -40C at race time.

Last year, the Santa Shuffle brought in $300,000 for the Salvation Army.

Global Edmonton’s Nancy Carlson hosted and took part in the event.

©2015