Header image alt text

长沙夜网,长沙桑拿,长沙桑拿按摩论坛

Powered by Nawaim!

Paris climate deal drafted but still long way to go

Posted by admin on 15/03/2019
Posted in 长沙夜网 

Negotiators adopted a draft climate agreement Saturday that was cluttered with brackets and competing options, leaving ministers with the job of untangling key sticking points in what is envisioned to become a lasting, universal pact to fight global warming.

As the U.N. talks outside Paris reached their midway point, the draft agreement was sent on to environment and foreign ministers who will work on it next week.

“We would have wished to be further along than we are at this point, but the text being forwarded so far reflects our key priorities,” said Maldives delegate Thoriq Ibrahim, who chairs an alliance of small island nations on the front lines of climate change.

WATCH: Justin Trudeau tells world leaders at Paris climate change conference: Canada is back

A host of disagreements remains, almost all related to defining the obligations and expectations of rich and poor countries, as well as those who don’t fit neatly into either category.

Though 184 countries have already submitted national plans to reduce climate-warming greenhouse gas emissions, how to anchor those pledges in a legally binding deal remains to be worked out.

WATCH ABOVE: Climate change ‘an urgent issue’: Robert Redford.

China’s chief negotiator Su Wei told reporters Saturday that “all the provisions, starting from the preamble to the final clauses, would be legally binding.”

That contrasts with the U.S. position, which is for some parts to be legally binding, but not countries’ pledges to limit the greenhouse gas emissions. Binding emissions cuts would likely require the Obama administration to send the deal to the Republican-controlled Congress, where it would likely be struck down.

WATCH: Paris climate negotiations should include a legally binding treaty: May

ChangSha Night Net

After the news conference, Su indicated the issue was still up for negotiation.

“We have to further discuss … try to find some proper solution,” he said.

Jake Schmidt of the Natural Resource Defence Council, a New York-based environmental group, said the issue could be resolved by avoiding words like “shall” in key paragraphs about emissions targets.

The Paris accord is meant to be a turning point in the world’s efforts to fight climate change. Since they started in 1992, the U.N. talks have not been able to stop the rise in emissions, mostly from the burning of fossil fuels, blamed for warming the planet.

READ MORE: Climate change: Why world leaders want to stop Earth from warming 2 C

Previous agreements only required rich countries to reduce their emissions. The new agreement would apply to all countries, but many developing nations are resisting language that would indicate a shift in responsibilities.

The U.S. and other developed countries have traditionally been the only ones expected to provide financing to help poor countries deal with rising seas and other impacts of climate change. They want the new agreement to expand the donor base to include the most advanced developing countries.

Major developing countries including India and China are pushing back, amid worries that wealthy countries are trying to dodge their responsibilities.

The developing bloc says the parts of world that industrialized first — the U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand — have a historical responsibility to address climate change.

HALIFAX – A 43-year-old man has escaped from custody while being transferred to a sheriff’s van in Nova Scotia, and it’s not the first time the man has slipped from authorities.

The latest incident happened at 5:45 p.m. Friday at the parking lot of the Truro Justice Centre.

According to the Department of Justice, Marc Joseph Pellerin was being transported from Shediac jail in New Brunswick to Halifax for a Monday court appearance.

ChangSha Night Net

He was to appear on a variety of charges, including theft of a motor vehicle, theft over $5,000, break and enter, possession of stolen property, evading police, unsafe storage of a firearm and resisting arrest.

READ: Police looking for man who stole $8,000 in jewelry from Dartmouth store

Prisoner not handcuffed or in shackles

Fred Hildebrand, the executive director of Sheriff Services, says Pellerin was not wearing handcuffs or shackled when he was being transferred between the two vehicles, which is against policy.

“Normally in a transport, they have the handcuffs and shackles on all the time. That’s the routine,” he said.

“We want to investigate to get the facts we need the facts to determine exactly what happened.”

He says the sheriffs had used an SUV for the drive from Shediac to Truro because of the weather. Pellerin was supposed to be transferred into a van for the remainder of the trip.

“I understand it was one of the SUVs which has 4 wheel drive. The reason being yesterday I guess they had a lot of snow up north and they took the SUV for safety reasons.”

Hildebrand adds there were four staff members taking part in the transfer and that they gave chase when Pellerin escaped.

“They chased him for several blocks in Truro and they couldn’t catch him,” he said.

Police partnering in search

Truro Police, RCMP and Sheriff Services have joined together in the search for Pellerin.

“We are still actively looking for him,” said Cst. Andrew Frost of the Truro Police Service on Saturday morning.

A media release from the justice department describes Pellerin as a white male with brown eyes and brown hair. He is 5’7” and weighs 155 lbs. At the time of the incident, he was wearing a dark jacket, blue jeans and sneakers. He also has tattoos on both arms.

Pellerin, who is from New Brunswick, escaped from custody briefly back in May. He had been arrested by Halifax Regional Police for allegedly selling stolen items at a pawn shop in Dartmouth and somehow escaped from the police vehicle while being transferred to the cells.

He ran away but police were able to catch him a short distance away.

Pellerin is charged with multiple property-related crimes involving pawn shops and jewelry stores in Dartmouth and Chester, including a theft at Mic Mac Mall in March.

NEW YORK – The New York Times is using space on its front page to call for greater gun regulation in the wake recent deadly mass shootings.

Publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. says the newspaper is running its first Page 1 editorial since 1920 on Saturday to “deliver a strong and visible statement of frustration and anguish about our country’s inability to come to terms with the scourge of guns.”

The piece is a response to recent gun violence in the United States, including the shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colorado, last week and  a shooting that killed 14 people Wednesday at a social services centre in San Bernardino, California.

WATCH: U.S. President Barack Obama reacts to the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California and says the country is facing a pattern of mass shootings and that laws have to change.

ChangSha Night Net

The editorial follows an editorial by the New York Daily News which skewered politicians’ responses to the San Bernardino shootings on twitter, saying “God isn’t fixing this.”

The Times says the editorial suggests drastically reducing the number of firearms and even “eliminating some large categories of weapons and ammunition.”

“It is a moral outrage and a national disgrace that civilians can legally purchase weapons designed specifically to kill people with brutal speed and efficiency,” writes the Editorial Board, which has the byline for the editorial.

The editorial even goes as far as to say U.S. politicians “abet would-be killers by creating gun markets for them.”

Fatalities and Injuries from Mass Shootings in the U.S. | FindTheBest

With files from Global News’ Rebecca Joseph. 

©2015The Associated Press

NEW DELHI – Severe floods that have hit the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu killed 18 hospital patients this week after rainwaters knocked out generators and switched off ventilators, officials said Saturday.

State authorities were investigating complaints of negligence by officials at MIOT International hospital in the state capital of Chennai, which is reeling from massive floods.

ChangSha Night Net

The 18 patients were in the intensive care unit when a power outage affected ventilators in the hospital, leading to their deaths over the past two to three days, said state Health Secretary J. Radhakrishnan.

READ MORE: Flood waters inundate homes and buildings in southern India

He said that floodwaters entered the room with the generators, cutting off power to the building and switching off the ventilators.

More than 280 people have died due to the floods in Chennai, a city of 9.6 million, and nearby districts, including several who were killed due to electric shocks from power distribution boxes that had been submerged by floodwaters. Authorities have turned off power supplies in some areas to prevent accidental deaths.

Army soldiers using boats have rescued thousands of residents marooned in high-rise buildings and launched massive relief operations to provide food and medicine

WATCH: 桑拿会所 user captures incredible scenes of flooding in Indian city of Chennai

Although floodwaters have begun to recede, vast swaths of Chennai and neighbouring districts were still under 2 1/2 to 3 metres of water, with tens of thousands of people in state-run relief camps.

As officials struggled to supply drinking water and food packets, people were complaining that relief had not yet reached several neighbourhoods, four days after they were marooned or stranded on rooftops. With no electricity for more than four days, they had no way to charge their cellphones, they said.

“We feel quite helpless,” said Malti Soman, standing in knee-deep water in Mambalam, a residential area in central Chennai. “The landline phones are not working. And my cellphone is dead because there is no electricity to charge it.”

READ MORE: India’s Tamil Nadu grapples with worst floods in a century

Radhakrishnan, the health secretary, said Saturday that while the immediate rescue operations were tapering off, the main focus of the administration in the coming days will be to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.

In many areas, sewage drains have overflowed due to the rising floodwaters, posing a health hazard for residents who have had to wade through the water, Radhakrishnan said.

“This is a concern,” he said. “We are working with the local water and sewage agencies to disinfect the worst-hit areas.”

Sanitation workers have begun spraying insecticide in many places to prevent the spread of vector-borne diseases such as malaria and dengue due to the stagnant water collected in large parts of the city.

Chennai’s airport was closed for a fourth day Saturday, although some flights operated from a nearby air force base.

Railway services resumed partially, with a few trains running from Chennai’s main train station.

India’s main monsoon season runs from June through September, but for Chennai and the rest of the southeastern coast, the heaviest rainfall is from October to December, also called the retreating monsoon.

This year’s deluge — which experts linked to the El Nino weather pattern, when the waters of the Pacific Ocean get warmer than usual — caught Chennai completely unprepared.

LOS ANGELES – A family who suffered serious injuries in a fatal traffic collision involving Caitlyn Jenner earlier this year sued the Olympic gold medallist on Friday.

The Wolf-Milesi family of Malibu sued Jenner in Los Angeles Superior Court for negligence in the February crash, which killed one woman after Jenner rear-ended her car and pushed it into oncoming traffic on the Pacific Coast Highway.

A sport utility vehicle driven by Peter Wolf-Milesi family struck a car driven by Kim Howe, killing her. The lawsuit states the four members of the Wolf-Milesi family and another occupant of their vehicle sustained serious injuries in the crash.

WATCH: Caitlyn Jenner will not face charges over a car crash in February that left one woman dead and several other injured. Amy Johnson reports.

ChangSha Night Net

Peter Wolf-Milesi suffered serious wrist injuries and his one-month old son was unresponsive after the accident, according to the lawsuit. Wolf-Milesi’s wife also sustained blunt-force injuries and requires ongoing treatment, the suit states.

“The emotional effects of being involved in a collision that has taken the life of another has caused tremendous distress and suffering for the Wolf-Milesi family,” the suit states.

Jenner’s publicist Alan Nierob declined comment Friday.

Sheriff’s investigators determined Jenner was travelling at an unsafe speed for the traffic conditions. Prosecutors declined to file a vehicular manslaughter charge against the 66-year-old Jenner, who was born as Bruce Jenner.

The accident occurred before Jenner announced she is transgender and transitioned into her new identity as Caitlyn.

After the accident, Jenner released a statement expressing sympathy to those involved in the accident.

“It is a devastating tragedy,” the statement read. “I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them.”

Jenner is also facing separate lawsuits by Howe’s stepchildren and the driver of the other car involved in the collision.